Saturday, January 15, 2011

It Takes Two

As the only child of a single parent family unit, and a 10 year public school educator I have some knowledge about the concept I’m about to introduce.  This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that reads this and if you disagree please feel free to post your comments.  My claim is this:
If you are the child of a single family household, in a situation where there is no other parent ever, you have exactly 50 percent of the chance to be a successful citizen that you had if you had both parents present.
Now what do I mean by successful? Absolutely a high school graduate, a lifelong tax-payer, an upstanding member of the community and if you choose to have a family, a good spouse and parent.  There are those that may say this criterion is a challenge even by children of a 2 parent home.  I agree!  There are many obstacles that present themselves over a 20 year span between parents and children.  Imagine the chances if there is only one person that does all the jobs a child needs.  The disciplinarian, shoulder to cry on, homework helper, practice taker, food/shelter/clothes provider, psychologist/child psychiatrist, cook and so many more job titles a parent has on one shoulder?  Oh and that person also has their own life?  24 hours a day everyday? 
Is it a foregone conclusion that if my dad takes off at the age of 4, I’m doomed to live in Loserville for life?  No…  I’m proof of that thus far!  However, the odds were against this kid from the Bronx.  How many of the people reading this is in the same boat?  Child of a single parent that was able to beat the odds?  And how many of you know about the others that prove my claim?  

No comments:

Post a Comment